Saturday, February 2, 2019

Disco Inferno (Burn Baby Burn)

I didn't mention in the previous posting that, when the streams froze, we were going through a period where we hardly saw temperatures above the single digits. One day, the low was -6° F and the high was 1° F (the windchill got down in the -30°s). We've managed to get in our morning walks most mornings but we draw the line at windchills below zero (just too painful).

Although, it's been cold, we've only had 3 instances of measurable snowfall. One was a week before Thanksgiving and 2 have been in the last couple of weeks.

As usual, I've spent the warmer (at or above freezing) fall and early winter days cutting back brush and dead trees. We're allowed to burn here from January 15 until May 1 and I managed to get 7 huge burn piles together this year. I've already managed to burn 5 of them. Even standing next to a big fire, 20° is my threshold for committing myself to being outside all day tending the flames.


Later that same day (our third measurable snowfall):


-JC-

No comments:

Post a Comment